Thursday, November 5, 2009


This Thursday our book club will be discussing Dewey: The Small Town Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron. I was not looking forward to this one, although everyone I know who has read it really has good things to say. No one posted to see my views on the book, but of course, I have to give them to you anyway.

The book is comprised entirely of cute little anecdotes about Dewey, the cat Vicki found in the book drop in Spencer. My sister lived in Spencer for a few years, and I used to tool around on my bike when I visited her. I am sorry to say that I never visited the library, but that was pre-Dewey. It seems the library cat became a huge phenom who everyone all over the world heard about. I guess, that is, except for me.

I have no problem with cute cats. I am a HUGE cat lover. We have about 10 cats at our house (all outside dwellers) but I love and care for them all. Why then did I find this book so sappy, dull, and (dare I say it) fluffy? I don't know. I guess for what it is, it's quite entertaining. And I do believe cats are smart and make wonderful companions. But some of the things she described about Dewey's powers of intuition and thought processes were way over the top for me. While I love my cats very much, they are, after all, animals. Every time I go out to my cats, I feel calmed and happier. But do they look up at me and see into my very soul or ponder my actions in a critical way? I think not.

So, if you want a quick, light read and you are a big cat lover, then Dewey may be for you. Let me know what YOU think. Maybe I am just a grumpy reviewer who is unworthy of her cats.

No comments: