Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Passage by Justin Cronin


When I got interested in this new series by Justin Cronin, I didn't really know what it was all about. I saw a review for the 2nd book called The Twelve, and it sounded mesmerizing. So, I thought I better read the first one first,The Passage, and when I got into it, it was very different than I thought. But it grabbed me from the first page and held me there for a long time.

So here is what it really is about, and you have to promise not to laugh or go to the next blog post. The plot sounds pretty bizarre, even to me, but like I said, it's mesmerizing. The world, and more precisely in this book, the United States, has been taken over by a race of "virals" which are essentially vampires. But these vampires are not your beautiful, Edward and Bella type vamps. They were "created" through a secret government experiment which injected death-row inmates with a "virus." This virus brought about a vampire-like change in the original twelve inmates, making them into blood-thirsty, killing machines, which the government thought perhaps could be a great, next-gen weapon. But when the virals escape, they begin to systematically take over the States, killing or creating virals by the millions. Virtually unstoppable.

Cronin's story details this scenario while also delving into some very interesting human characters who are fighting to survive with the few humans that are left in the world. They finally decide that they can no longer stay inside a protected, lighted compound, but need to seek out other survivors to pool resources and fight.

And then there is Amy. Amy 's story to me is what drives the book. She is a small girl of 12 or 13 who was also injected with the virus. But instead of becoming a horrible creature, she became the one soul who can see inside the beasts, feel their pain, and help them to whatever lies on the other side of their lives and deaths. In the end, the Twelve original virals understand her power and try to destroy it. But Amy has a band of very reliable teens defending and protecting her, even as they themselves are discovering her power.

So, yeah, it's pretty weird. And also pretty amazing. If you need a little sci-fi in your life mixed in with some good innocent romance, supernatural spirituality, and a fast-moving plot, then pick this one up. I can't wait to read The Twelve - new at the library!

No comments: