Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis


I am one of those crazy women who used to read every Oprah Book Club pick there was. I have to say I loved most of them. So, when Oprah started her 2.0 club, I had to pick this one up. As per most of Oprah's choices, it is the story of a strong woman with a hard life, in this case Hattie Shepherd. It is also the story of her twelve children.

Each chapter is devoted to the life of one of Hattie's "tribe." They are quite a mix of struggling, searching kids who all resent their mother for some reason or the other, even while she gives up everything in her own life to raise them with next to nothing and a cheating, womanizing husband. Their lives encompass the issues of race, religion, wealth, social status, sexual orientation, and psychological issues. The reader wants to love and hate them in all their splendid glory. But it is Hattie who saves them all, in her way. While not a very "loving" or demonstrative person, she nevertheless gives them the spirit to survive despite what life throws at them, and in the end, she is still their savior.

Hattie's life is the quintessential question mark in most middle-aged women's lives. Is it ever going to be enough? Can I give up all of myself for them, my children and my family? Or must I save a piece of me for me? You'll love finding out what Hattie decides for herself. Don't shy away from the power of Oprah. :) Take a look at this one. You'll be glad.

No comments: