Thursday, June 29, 2017



When I read the description of this book somewhere, it sounded like the author was going to tell me secrets about myself. And who can resist that title? Love AND trouble. I'm in - even though I don't really read many memoirs.

The subtitle pretty much describes the book (and indeed most women's thoughts about middle age). There is a reckoning coming when you hit the mid-forties. If you aren't there yet, honey, please - get ready. This is why Love and Trouble is such an entertaining, terrifying, brutal, poignant, and cool read. The author takes her many trials, experiences, and thoughts (also interesting diary entries) from when she was a teen and mixes them with her trials, experiences, and thoughts from her mid-life crisis on a sort of winding continuum. This may sound pithy and overdone when it comes to memoirs, but Dederer manages to tackle this in a very interesting and easily readable way. 

Although I couldn't really relate to it all, as I might have thought by reading the jacket, there was so much that I could see in myself that made it truly enjoyable. It always amazes me how strong women are and how common our experiences really seem to be. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this one. Try it, and let me know what you think. 

No comments: